Club premise certificates

What is a club premises certificate?

The Licensing Act 2003 recognises that volunteer and social clubs give rise to different issues for licensing law than commercially run premises selling direct to the public.

These clubs (such as the Royal British Legion, working men's or cricket or rugby clubs) are generally organisations where members join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combine to purchase alcohol in bulk for members.

Club premises certificates authorise qualifying clubs to use club premises for qualifying club activities such as:

  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member for consumption on the premises.
  • The retail sale of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a guest of a member for consumption on the premises, and the
    provision of regulated entertainment by or on behalf of a club for its members or their guests.

How to apply

To make an application you must;

  • submit an application form
  • submit an operating schedule
  • submit a plan of the premises
  • pay the required fee
  • advertise the application in the local press and also on the premises

For further details regarding making an application for a club premises certificate, please contact the licensing team. Application forms and further information is also available at the GOV.UK website.

Contact us

Contact Licensing form

01753 875664
Mon to Fri 9.30 am - 4.30 pm

In person
Mon to Fri 9.30 am - 4.30 pm


Related webpages