HMO stands for House in Multiple Occupation, which is a building, or part of a building, such as a flat, that meets the following criteria:
- is occupied by more than one household and where more than one household shares an amenity, such as a bathroom, toilet or cooking facilities
- is occupied by more than one household and is a converted building – but not entirely self-contained flats (whether or not some amenities are shared or lacking)
- are converted self-contained flats, which fail to meet the minimum standards under the 1991 Building Regulations, and at least one third of the flats are occupied under short tenancies.
On 6 April 2006 mandatory licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation came into force nationally.
Under the national mandatory licensing scheme an HMO must be licensed if it satisfies the following criteria:
- three or more storeys high, and
- have five or more people in more than one household, and
- share amenities such as bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities.
Applying for a licence
Anyone who owns or manages an HMO that must be licensed has to apply to the council for a licence. Instructions and advice on how to apply can be found in the attached application pack.
The initial fee is £550.00 for properties with 5 bedrooms and below. For properties bigger than this, Slough Borough Council charges a fee of a further £10.00 per bedroom.
- If it is occupied by only two people.
- If it is occupied by the owner (and their family if any) and one lodgers.
- If it is occupied by a recognised religious community.
- If the occupiers have their main residence elsewhere*.
- If the owner or manager is a public body/ an educational institution such as a boarding school or university.
- A converted building of self-contained flats if two thirds or more of the flats are owner-occupied.
*Accommodation used by full-time students while they are studying is taken to be their main residence.
Contact Housing Regulation Team
Telephone: 01753 475111
Email: Privatesectorhousing@slough.gov.uk or
Write to: Housing Regulation Team , St Martins Place (The Centre), 51 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 3UF