Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Property licensing

Slough Borough Council is committed to ensuring all residents have access to safe, good quality housing.

As such on 18 March 2019, following a 12 week consultation, Slough Borough Council approved the implementation of two discretionary licensing schemes for residential property in Slough.

Therefore from 1 July 2019 there will be three property licensing schemes in operation in Slough:

  1. Mandatory licensing for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) with 5 or more occupants
  2. Additional licensing for all HMOs (not covered by mandatory scheme, i.e. smaller HMOs)
  3. Selective licensing of all privately rented property covering most of Chalvey and Central Wards.

An HMO is any rented property which consists of three or more occupants, forming two or more households where there is some sharing of amenities or where the units of accommodation lack amenities, such as bathrooms, kitchens or toilets.

For the purposes of licensing, a household would include for example; a married couple (or equivalent relationship), parent and child or grandparent and child.

Mandatory licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

From 1 October 2018, all HMOs with five or more tenants, forming more than one household, must have a council granted HMO licence, regardless of the height of the building. Prior to 1 October 2018 mandatory licensing only applied to HMOs of three or more storeys.

Additional licensing scheme for all HMOs

In exercise of its powers under Section 56 of the Housing Act 2004 Slough Borough Council has designated the whole of the borough for additional licensing. Under this scheme all HMOs, irrespective of the number of occupants or size of the property, require a licence.

The additional licensing scheme also covers certain buildings comprising of ‘self-contained flats’ that have not been converted in accordance with the 1991 Building Regulations. These are known as ‘257 HMOs’.

A copy of the designation notice and associated map can be found on the public notices webpage.

A selective licensing scheme

In exercise of its powers under section 80 of the Housing Act 2004, Slough Borough Council has designated a large proportion of Chalvey and Central Wards for selective licensing.

All privately rented properties in the designated area will require a licence. A copy of the designation notice can be found on the public notices webpage.

You can see the map of the area designated for selective licensing.

Licensed properties standards

All licensed HMOs will need to meet the standards set out in the document below. Licence holders will need to provide evidence that their property meets these standards and ensure the property is maintained in good and safe repair throughout the period of the licence.

If a licence holder fails to comply with any condition of a licence they could be subject to a fine of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine upon conviction.

Licensing fees

The current licensing fees are as follows. 

Part A Part B Total
Selective licence (houses with one family or two people who aren’t related) £200 £300 £500
HMO licensing fee (additional and mandatory) £450 £300 £750 For houses that have more than six rooms: additional charge of £30 per room.

Applying for a licence

It is the responsibility of the person having control of a rented property in the borough to establish whether or not they require a licence; and which licence they require.

Any person who fails to apply for a licence for a property that is required to be licensed commits an offence and could be subject to a civil penalty of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine upon conviction.

From 1 April 2019 Slough Borough Council will no longer accept paper applications. Applicants are required to make their application and pay the relevant fee via an online system.

Apply now

Public register of licensed properties

The local authority is required to keep a register of all licensed properties within its jurisdiction.

The online system will provide access to the public register. In the meantime please contact The Housing Regulation Team for further information.

Contact Housing Regulation / report an unlicensed property

If you have any queries, require further information or if you wish to report a property you believe to be unlicensed, please contact the Housing Regulation Team:

  • Telephone: 01753 475111 (option 3)
  • Email:   
  • Write to: Housing Regulation Team, Slough Borough Council, Observatory House, 25 Windsor Road, Slough, SL1 2EL

Apply for a licence

Property licence application.

Contact us

Housing Regulation Team   

01753 475111 (option 3)

Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road
Slough, SL1 2EL