Slough moves into covid tier 2

The change will come into force at 00:01 Saturday 24 October. Find out more details about Slough going into tier 2 and what it means.

Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Scaffolding & hoarding licences

The erection of scaffolding or hoarding (temporary board fencing around building sites) on or over a public highway needs a licence. This is to ensure that the health and safety of the public is not at risk.

You can apply for a scaffolding or hoarding licence through Slough Building Control. There is a fee for this service and you can download a full price list here

Applications for a scaffolding or hoarding licence must be done through a form, which can be downloaded here:  

Application for permission to erect hoarding or scaffold on or over the public highway

As well as the form, you also need to include:

  • The correct fee
  • A site location plan
  • A dimensioned elevation plan
  • An outline of any precautionary measures you intend to take to ensure public safety
  • A copy of your public indemnity insurance, showing cover for at least £10 million

If both a hoarding and scaffolding licence are required please complete separate forms with two fees, one for each licence required.
Return the form, along with the documentation outlined above, and the correct fee to:
Slough Building Control Services,
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road

You can also submit this form via email, to
If you wish to, you can pay for your application over the phone. To do this, please contact us on:
01753 875810
We will aim to issue you with a licence as soon as possible. You must not commence with the erection of the structure until you receive this licence. The licence will contain conditions designed to secure the health and safety of the public.

Licences are normally valid for up to 12 weeks after which you must have safely removed the structure or applied for and been granted a renewal licence.
Please note that not holding a correct licence is an offence, and you may receive a fine.

If you have any doubt about whether you need a scaffolding or hoarding licence, please contact us for advice before starting work.

Contact us

Contact Building Control form

01753 875810 (available weekdays between 10am - 12pm, and 2pm - 4pm).

Slough Building Control Services
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road
Find on map