Register for a self-build home

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act (2015) and associated Regulations in 2016 require the council keep a register of people or organisations interested in self-build and custom build.

Self build is where individuals or groups are involved in building their own home. Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available.

To add your name to the Register please complete the form below.

Each individual applicant and every member of an association that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.
  • Aged 18 or above
  • A British Citizen, a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) state other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland

What to expect

Slough Borough Council has the duty to grant planning permission to enough suitable serviced plots of land to meet the demand shown by the self-build register. More specifically, Slough Borough Council has a three years to identify sufficient sites to meet demand arisen in the annual period from 31 October one year to 30 October the following.

Once a serviced plot is given permission and if the current owner of the plot agrees, the Member(s) on the register will be notified and given the land owner's contact details for them to progress should they be interested in acquiring the land.

More information:

Contact us

Contact Planning Policy form

01753 477340

Planning Department
Slough Borough Council
St Martins Place
51 Bath Road
Slough, SL1 3UF