How to vote

If you are registered on the electoral register you will be sent a polling card a few weeks before an election. The card tells you when the election takes place and your allocated polling station.

You can only vote if your name is on the electoral register. You are eligible to vote if you are:

  • 18 or over on the day of the election
  • a British, Commonwealth, Irish or other European Union citizen
  • a member or spouse of HM Forces
  • a crown servant employed outside the UK.

European citizens are allowed to vote in European and local elections only.
Overseas electors are allowed to vote in parliamentary and European elections only.

Voting at a polling station

On the day of the election you can vote between 7am to 10pm. You will be asked to confirm your name and address, or you can hand in your polling card.
You will be given a ballot paper which you should take to the polling booth and mark an ‘X’ next to the candidate you wish to vote for. Fold the paper in half and post it into the ballot box.

Find your polling station

Enter your postcode in the search box to find where your polling station is.

Your polling station:

Voting by post

Anyone can request to vote by post instead of going to a polling station, through the about my vote website, so long as you appear on the electoral register.

Return your postal vote application form to:

Electoral Services
Slough Borough Council
St Martins Place
51 Bath Road

You will receive your ballot paper by post two weeks before the day of the election. You must ensure that you return your ballot paper by Election Day, or your vote will not be counted.

Proxy voting

A proxy vote means that you appoint someone to vote on your behalf if you are unable to get to the polling station on Election Day, providing you appear on the electoral register. This may be because you are on holiday or in hospital.

If you want a proxy vote for a set period of time for all future elections, you must have one of the following reasons:

  • you are a registered as a service voter
  • you are registered as an overseas elector
  • you have a physical disability
  • you are away from home due to your job or you are on a course
  • you have to travel by air or sea to get to your polling station.

In all the above cases, except if you are registered blind, someone has to certify on your application that the reason is valid. This could be, for example, your employer or doctor.

Related websites