On 18 October 2019, The Safer Slough Partnership will launch wave two of its modern slavery campaign to mark Anti-Slavery Day.
Called - Modern slavery is closer than you think - the campaign focuses on raising awareness of modern slavery in Slough to increase reporting of instances to the Modern Slavery Helpline.
This campaign will last for six weeks with a range of outdoor advertising and social media messages. You will probably see our posters on buses and bus shelters throughout the town. We have also translated our posters into Polish, Romanian, Urdu and Punjabi.
Following the success of wave one of the campaign last year and the awareness raised across Slough we have expanded our communication materials to include posters and messages on the four different types of modern slavery:
- Criminal exploitation
- Domestic servitude
- Sexual exploitation
- Forced labour.
Below are all the resources you need as downloads to run the campaign from your organisation. We would encourage you to use the posters in your buildings and push out all the messages provided on your social media channels with the corresponding imagery.
If you require translated posters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campaign key messages
Modern slavery is closer than you think
- Modern Slavery happens all over the world. It happens in the UK. It happens in Slough. It could be taking place right on your doorstep.
- There are four main types of modern slavery - sexual exploitation, criminal exploitation, forced labour, domestic servitude.
- If you suspect someone is a victim of modern slavery, you should follow your organisation’s internal guidance or call the Modern Slavery Helpline on 0800 0121 700.
These messages will be supplemented by the five questions to help identify if someone is a potential victim of modern slavery.
- Are you living the life you expected to live before coming here?
- Does someone have control of your identity documents or passport and bank card?
- If you wanted to leave your job or accommodation, would someone stop you?
- Have you ever been threatened if you do not do as you are told?
- Are you able to make contact with your family and friends when you want?
Useful web links
- Safe Car Wash – Help end modern slavery in hand car washes with the Safe Car Wash App. Modern slavery is happening in car washes across the country. But only with anecdotal evidence, and partial understanding of the scale of the problem, law enforcement need the public’s help to map this issue. The Safe Car Wash App has been created to mobilise communities and help gather information about hand car washes in the UK.
Download the Safe Car Wash App on your phone and use it every time you go to a hand car wash. The app will take you through the most obvious indicators of modern slavery, asking you questions to determine whether those signs are present or not. If there is a high likelihood of modern slavery in the car wash, you will be prompted to call the Modern Slavery Helpline on 0800 0121 700.
- Unseen – recognise and report modern slavery or seek help through the Unseen App. The Unseen App provides a guide to understanding how women, men and children can be exploited and spotting the signs of modern slavery. It also makes reporting concerns or suspicions to Unseen’s Modern Slavery Helpline easy – you can either fill in a report or call direct at the click of a button.
Here are some useful downloads to help you run the campaign from your organisation:
- the poster – please print and use this poster around your buildings:
- social media messages and imagery - from Friday 18 October we will be tweeting weekly messages to support the campaign – we have included it here so you can use the same messages and imagery from your organisations
- press release – 2019 version to come. This will be sent out locally, week beginning 14 October
- web banners – we have created two web banners for you to use on your websites and social media:
- 5 questions cards: