Residents are being warned about unscrupulous fraudsters who are using the coronavirus public health emergency to make a quick buck.
There is already evidence people up and down the country have collectively lost hundreds of thousands of pounds as conmen prey on insecurities in these turbulent times.
Trading Standards have advised the most common scam is selling coronavirus testing kits and cures by going door to door. These are fake kits and could contain items with unknown substances in them. Other scams include selling hard to obtain products like hand sanitiser at inflated prices.
Residents are being urged to proceed with caution when a someone unexpected turns up at the front door during this time of social isolation.
There are lots of great volunteers, charity and community groups in the borough being coordinated by SloughCVS assisting vulnerable people.
Slough Borough Council and its staff continue prioritising and protect services for the most vulnerable with the unfortunate consequence of some public facing services have been closed.
The following are in addition to other cancellations and suspensions already announced. They are
• The Registration Service will stop registration of births until further notice. Parents with appointments over the next few days to register the births of their baby will be notified that their appointments have been cancelled.
• All marriages have been cancelled and no applications for any marriage will be taken.
• Contacting us by post - we are currently unable to collect correspondence sent via post. Where possible, we ask that you contact us online or call 01753 475111.
• All Children’s Centre services are now being amalgamated into a single information point at Penn Road Children’s Centre. This is the result of the government’s stay at home policy as well as staff going into self isolation at the three remaining open children’s centres in the borough. Penn Road is now the delivery centre for all key worker and vulnerable children’s childcare from across the network of 10 centres. It will also act as the coordination point as the early years hub provision is rolled out to respond to changing any needs across the borough. If any children’s centre which is currently closed is required for any services at any point across the council it will be re-opened immediately.
• At this time Housing Management are only able to offer critical services to Slough Borough Council tenants. All of our contact with you will be over the telephone or by email and it may not be your usual Housing Officer. If you know your Housing Officer’s direct dial number please use this to contact them. If you don’t then please call either the main council switchboard on 01753 475111 or you can contact the team directly on 01753 877382 or 01753 474052. Alternatively you can email one of these team emails:
Northteam2@slough.gov.uk (Britwell, Manor Park and Priory areas)
Eastteam2@slough.gov.uk (Langley, Wexham and Colnbrook areas)
Southteam2@slough.gov.uk (Chalvey or Cippenham areas)
• Social housing repairs - If you want to report a new repair or find out when a repair will be completed please continue to call Osborne on 0800 915 1215. Osborne will be able to complete emergency repairs only. Osborne will still log any other repairs so they can be attended to when government guidance allows.
• Slough Cycle hire has been suspended and bikes will not be able to be used until further notice.
• Council services can still be accessed online at slough.gov.uk or call 01753 475111.
Slough Council for Voluntary Service, SCVS, is working with the council to coordinate services to reach more people in the borough who need assistance. In addition, it will provide a central point where volunteers willing to help can register their interest.
The partnership will see the establishment of transport links between foodbanks and partners, as well as getting assistance to people who need essential food and medicine deliveries.
Residents can nominate themselves for assistance or a neighbour, friend or family member. For more information go to sloughcvs.org.