The UK and the EU reached an agreement on 24 December 2020 and the exit transition period came to an end on 31 December 2020. 

New rules have taken effect from 1 January 2021. 

To find out what you might need to do differently as an individual or as a business, the government has created the Brexit checker. Its questions will generate a personalised list of actions to take now that new rules are in place. 

EU citizens in the UK

If you are an EU citizen, you should check if you need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). This applies if you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. 

You should apply for the EUSS by Wednesday 30 June 2021 if you want to continue to live and work in the UK. 

Find out more and apply on the government's website.

Living and working in the EU

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country. You may need to register or apply for residency. You should also check that you're covered for healthcare.

Additionally, you may need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Travelling to the EU

From 1 January 2021, there are new rules when travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. 

You may need to:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • ensure you have the right travel documents
  • organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 4 months before travelling to get the latest advice.

There are extra requirements if you are travelling for business.

Advice for businesses

The process for importing and exporting goods changed as of 1 January 2021. Visit the government website to find out about: