Universal Credit and changes in circumstances

You must report all changes in your circumstances straight away whether or not you think the change will affect your Universal Credit. You must report a change even if it is for a brief period of time. It is your responsibility to make sure that the information you provide is correct and up to date.

Changes can be reported for yourself, your partner, or any child or qualifying young person you are responsible for.
You must provide the exact date the change happened.

How to report a change in your circumstances

Report the change by phoning 0345 6000 723 or textphone 0345 6000 743. Advisers are available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. When you call you must provide all the information needed.

Items you may need

Depending on your change, you may need to have some of the following with you:

  • your latest payslip
  • your latest bank/building society/credit union statement
  • your tenancy or rent agreement
  • your personal details, including address, postcode, and National Insurance number
  • confirmation letters for any other benefits that you get
  • details of any other income that you get
  • share certificates or details of your savings and other capital.

If you don't report a change in your circumstances

If you don't report a change in your circumstances this may mean you are not getting money you are entitled to or are being overpaid.

Changes you must report

Some examples of the changes you must report are:

  • name
  • address
  • telephone number
  • email address (you and your partner, if you have one, can use the same email address)
  • method of payment
  • children
  • childcare
  • caring responsibilities
  • health and
  • disability
  • pregnancy and birth
  • savings - (savings includes current accounts, savings accounts, credit union accounts, post office accounts, building society accounts, PEPs, ISAs, Bonds)
  • capital - (capital includes property, foreign assets, shares, trust funds, government securities, personal injury payments)
  • housing
  • other income
  • other benefits
  • employment
  • partner leaving/joining
  • boarders and lodgers
  • a member of your assessment unit is temporarily or permanently absent (for example, abroad, prison, residential care, hospital)

The adviser will enter the change on your behalf. If you knowingly give information that is incorrect or incomplete your Universal Credit may be stopped and you could receive a financial penalty or be prosecuted for fraud.

You can't report a change that happened before the date you made your claim, or a change that is due to happen in the future.
You can report more than one change at the same time.

Declaration and next steps

Before submitting your change the adviser will ask you to confirm the information you have provided.
They will then ask you to accept a declaration that the information is complete and correct. If you accept your declaration your Universal Credit amount will be recalculated.

The new information entered replaces the existing information on your Universal Credit claim. Universal Credit stores the previous information and you can ask an adviser for this if you need it.

Once the change has been submitted the adviser will explain to you or your partner (if you have one):

  • if any further evidence is needed and the date it must be provided by
  • the requirement to keep a record of job search activities - you must bring this to your job search interview.

If you and your partner are required to look for work and don't, then your Universal Credit may be reduced or you may not receive any money.

Once the changes you report have been confirmed, you will get a new Universal Credit decision letter through the post. This decision letter will tell you if there is any change to the amount you will get, and the date this will take effect from.
If you have started to earn more, this could mean you are no longer entitled to Universal Credit and your claim may close.

For some changes your responsibilities will change and you will need to accept a new Claimant Commitment. In this case, you must attend an interview to continue to get your Universal Credit.