Items we do accept
Household items only.
Chalvey HWRC can only accept up to 5 small (which can be carried in a car) sheets of bonded asbestos, i.e. asbestos cement products. Quantities above this amount will need to be taken to the Chalvey Waste Transfer Station where there will be a charge. This service is by appointment only. Call 01753 475111 option 4 to make an appointment.
You must also meet the following conditions:
- be a resident of Slough
- bring proof of address with you such as a recent utility bill and photo ID (drivers licence or passport)
- the cement bonded asbestos must be arising from a domestic property e.g. a shed roof, drainpipes, water tank
- the asbestos must be damped down and then double bagged or wrapped tightly in plastic as this prevents release of dust
- either bring help with you or bring manageable sized pieces, as staff are not able to assist you.
Please note: You must inform a member of staff on site that you are planning to dispose of asbestos.
- Car batteries.
- Used engine oil.
- Tyres (maximum 2 tyres) Only one visit per month (no return visit within 28 days) is permitted. Tyres above this quantity and from trade sources will not be accepted.
Building and demolition materials
Building or demolition waste is considered, by law, to be commercial waste and as such you may be charged for disposal.
Chalvey HWRC can only accept a small amount of demolition and building waste from residents carrying out their own small-scale home improvements. This includes, but is not limited to, items such as:
- doors and window frames (maximum 2 doors)
- hardcore and rubble (we cannot accept any materials mixed with plastic, metals, or general rubbish, this must be removed beforehand)
- kitchen cupboards
- large pieces of timber, old sheds, fence panels
- old tiles and plaster
- plasterboard (maximum 2 boards at the Waste Transfer Station. Opening hours Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm, Saturday 9am to 12pm, last entry 15 minutes prior to closing. Closed Sunday and bank holidays ).
Please note: This is limited to one car boot load (up to 6x sacks or "black bags") of this type of waste per visit. Only one visit per month (no return visit within 28 days) is permitted. Quantities above this allowance will need to be disposed of at the Waste Transfer Station where a charge is calculated at £173.68 per ton, with a minimum charge of £31.26.
Please contact a site attendant before you dispose of any building or demolition waste.
If you are having difficulty disposing of certain items, please contact us on 01753 457111 option 4.
An automatic number plate recognition system is in place and repeat visitors or those presenting large amounts of this type of waste will be charged.
Alternative options for disposal would be via a skip hire service or an authorised waste contractor.
- Batteries (all household battery types).
- Fluorescent tubes (maximum 4 tubes) - only one visit per month (no return visit within 28 days) is permitted.
- Fridges and freezers.
- Low energy light bulbs.
- Other large domestic appliances.
- Printer ink and toner cartridges.
- Small electrical appliances.
- Smoke Detectors (non-ionising)
- Televisions and monitors.
Contact a site attendant to dispose of any hazardous waste. All chemicals must be in its original container or clearly marked.
- Bleach or other strong cleaners and disinfectants.
- Car maintenance products (i.e. antifreeze, brake fluid, lubricants, degreaser).
- De-scalers and oven cleaners.
- Drain cleaners.
- Fire extinguishers.
- Gas bottles.
- Glues and adhesives.
- Knives (wrap them in paper and put in the scrap metal container).
- Paint and paint products (those with orange and black hazard symbol).
- Paint cleaners and thinners.
- Pesticides and Insecticides (i.e. weed killer, lawn treatments, fungicides).
- Photographic chemicals.
- Smoke detectors (ionising)
- Stain removers.
- Wood preservatives, treatments and varnishes.
Please note: Maximum quantity for household and garden chemicals is 5 litres (one visit per month, no return visit within 28 days).
- Aluminium foil.
- Aluminium food and drink cans.
- Scrap metal.
- Garden waste.
- Cooking oil.
- Vegetable oil.
Paper and cardboard
- Mixed paper and card.
- Plastic bottles.
Textiles and clothing
- Mixed textiles.
- Wood and timber (treated or untreated).
- Audio and video cassettes.
- Bulky domestic items.
- CD's and DVD's.
- Non-recyclable waste (please be aware this waste may go to landfill).
- Mattresses (maximum 2 mattresses) - only one visit per month (no return visit within 28 days) is permitted. Amounts over this limit are charged at £12 per mattress.