Support for residents

Updated: 16 December 2020

Support available for residents who may be experiencing hardship

  • If you know people who are struggling the council can offer Local Welfare Provision.
  • If you are receiving housing benefit or receive the housing costs element of Universal Credit then you may be able to get some extra help your rent by applying for Discretionary Housing Payments 
  • If residents are experiencing exceptional hardship they may be able to claim a discretionary reduction in Council Tax.
  • You have the right to pay your Council Tax over 12 months instead of 10 months. Contact the council in advance to arrange this.
  • We have the Council Tax Support scheme in place for residents on low income

We have also been notified by the Government that money will be provided to councils to support vulnerable residents. We will provide further information on this when we know more.

Self-isolation Support Grants

You may be able to claim a support grant if you are told to self-isolate. Go to the Self-isolation Support Grants page to check if you are eligible and find out how to apply.

Council Tax Support

If you have recently lost your job or are on unpaid leave and require assistance with paying your council tax, you can make an application for Council Tax Support here.

Discretionary help with financial hardship

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak we are conscious many of our residents are likely to suffer a financial impact if they are forced to take unpaid leave, redundancy, if they work as a temp through an agency or work under a zero hours contract with many company's closing for a number of weeks.

In addition to this, there will be a number of households who are self-isolating and unable to leave their home as such we have brought together some information relating to financial support the council might be able to provide. Announcements are being made daily and we will continue to update the website as further information is received.

Additional reduction for Council Tax Support recipients

In response to the Coronavirus pandemic, the Government have allocated funds to local councils to support residents financially. Some residents in receipt of Council Tax Support from 1 April 2020 onwards have automatically been awarded up to an additional £150 off their council tax bill.

If you are of working age and were in receipt of Council Tax Support as at 1 April 2020, you will have been automatically awarded the reduction. Anyone making a new Council Tax Support claim for the first time in 2020/21 will also have the reduction automatically applied to their council tax. In total more than 8,356 households will benefit from this and have so far been awarded more than £1.2m to support them through Covid-19.

For all new Council Tax Support claims made and awarded in the year 2020/21, we aim to make the additional reduction within four weeks of your new claim. You will be sent a new bill as soon as is practical, in the meantime please continue to pay your current bill.

Awards are made at the discretion of the council on a case by case basis. There is no right to appeal against the council's decision. Funding for the scheme is limited and awards will only be made while funds remain.
If your Council Tax account is now in credit and you:

  • pay by Direct Debit you will be refunded automatically
  • do not pay by Direct Debit please email with the subject headed ‘Council Tax Refund’ with your bank details to request the refund.
  • or you can find a refund form in the refund section of our Change of circumstances page.

Support for victims of domestic abuse

If you are at risk of domestic abuse there is help and support available to you. For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you. Please don't suffer alone.

Please see our domestic abuse pages for further guidance and support or contact the services below.

Call 999 in an emergency

  • Hestia Slough Domestic Service – 01753 477352
    Hestia provides domestic abuse services for Slough residents including advice, guidance and support.
  • The National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247
    Provides guidance and support for potential victims, as well as those who are worried about friends and loved ones.

Support for families with children

Early Years (0-5)

The Early Years sector has produced this guide EYFS Bursts for Learning 0-5 (PDF) with contributions from Children’s Centres and Maintained Nursery schools to support you and your child during the Covid-19 period and beyond. The guide offers a burst of teaching ideas to ensure continuity of the EYFS curriculum.

Support for families

The current Coronavirus epidemic and the lockdown measures that are in place, can present new challenges for children and families however there is still support available to you.

Coronavirus scams

Trading standards is warning people to be alert to coronavirus scams.

For details visit our wash your hands of coronavirus scams page.

Beware of unregulated debt help websites

Several unregulated debt help websites have been placed on a warning list by regulator the Financial Conduct Authority since the beginning of the coronavirus public health emergency. Several have had business names which include the name of legitimate debt help websites to lure people to their sites believing they are legitimate help advice. Before using any financial assistance website please check the latest warnings at to check they are not suspicious.