Energy bill rebates

Alert start banner

Please note: We will not call and ask for bank details in connection with the rebates. If you get a call, you should report this to Action Fraud. We will be writing to residents, who we do not already hold bank details, inviting you to make a claim. We have not yet set a date for this as we are still awaiting the software.

Alert end banner

Residents are set to receive a £150 cash payment from the government in response to rising energy bills, if they are in council tax bands A to D. The money will be paid to around 49,000 Slough households, which represents 89 per cent of all the borough’s homes.

You are likely to be eligible for the £150 payment, if at the end of the day on 1 April 2022, you meet the following requirements:

  • your home is valued in Council Tax bands A to D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme
  • your home is someone’s sole or main residence
  • your home is either one for which Council Tax is payable (i.e. it is not an exempt dwelling) or it is an exempt dwelling as it is occupied either solely by students, solely by persons aged under 18, solely by persons who are severely mentally impaired or it is an annexe that is occupied by a dependant relative (i.e. Council Tax exemption classes N, S, U OR W)
  • the person who is liable to pay the Council Tax (or who would be liable if the property were not exempt) is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or a governmental body.

The above means that:

  • a property where all the criteria are met, but where there is a nil Council Tax liability, as a result of Council Tax Support, will be eligible
  • a property that has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home will not be eligible
  • an unoccupied property (for Council Tax purposes) will not be eligible.

How you will get your payment

If you pay by direct debit, you'll get an automatic payment to your bank account. This payment will be made after we have successfully received a cleared Direct Debit payment during April. Due to delays in the release of software it is likely that this will mean the first payments will be released in early June.

If you do not pay by Direct Debit, we will contact you  by post to explain how you can supply your bank details or opt to have the money paid directly onto your Council Tax account. 

We will contact you if necessary, you do not need to contact us.

Further information about the £150 payment and timing of it will be available soon, together with details of the discretionary scheme that will apply for the same purpose.  

However, in the meantime, you should continue to make your Council Tax payments in the manner set out on your latest Council Tax bill. Paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit remains the easiest and most efficient way to pay. With direct debit, council tax can be paid in 10 or 12 monthly payments and on a choice of three payment dates each month: the 1st, 15th or 25th.