School Census and School Workforce Census
The school census is a statutory return which takes place during the autumn, spring, and summer terms.
The school workforce census is a statutory return which takes place once a year in the autumn term.
The following schools should take part in these censuses:
All maintained schools, including:
- nursery schools
- primary schools, including middle-deemed-primary schools
- secondary schools, including middle-deemed-secondary schools
- special schools, including hospital schools
- pupil referral units (PRUs) including AP academies and AP free schools
- community, foundation, voluntary-aided, and voluntary-controlled schools.
- free schools
- studio schools
- university technical colleges (UTCs)
Non-maintained special schools.
Maintained schools must submit their school census and school workforce census returns to the local authority for verification and submission to the Department for Education (DfE).
Academies and Free Schools
As well as submitting their return to the LA, all academies and free schools have additional responsibilities as required by the DfE. They must:
- upload and submit their census return directly to DfE using the COLLECT site. This can be done by the LA at the school’s request
- action and resolve all errors, queries and duplicate students (on school census) identified by COLLECT. Failure to do so could impact on funding levels. The Academy and Free School upload process to DfE can be done by the LA at the school’s request.
Academies and Free Schools should ensure they refer to communications and guidance sent by the DfE.
School Census timetable
Spring School Census Jan 2018 - Census Date: 18 January 2018
School census guidance
Please find below documentation for reference to during the census process:
Please find below phase specific guidance for Capita SIMS.net users:
Preparing for School Census (Capita SIMS.net)
Producing School Census (Capita SIMS.net)