Care homes & domiciliary care

CQC logo

Recent inspection reports

Below are recent reports from the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can search for other reports for Slough on the CQC website.

Lavender Court 2019 inspection

Lavender Court CQC Inspection Report - 15 January 2019 - overall rating for this service: Requires Improvement

Lavender Court CQC inspection report - overall rating: Requires Improvement.

The CQC's report for Lavender Court can be found on their website.

Lavender Court 2016 inspection

Lavender Court CQC Inspection Report - 14 December 2016 - overall rating for this service: Requires Improvement

Lavendar Court CQC rating

See CQC's report for Lavender Court on their website.


Respond CQC rating
See CQC's report for Respond on their website.

Respond 2016 inspection

Respond CQC 2016 inspection rating

Domiciliary Care

Residential / nursing care

If you, or a relative, are considering moving to a care home you may choose your own care home or you may need help from social services. This may be with financial help from social services or be self funded depending upon personal circumstances.

Although all homes come under the category of ‘care home’, generally a residential home should provide the level of personal care that you would expect from a close relative. Staff are not required to be qualified nurses but a percentage of carers in each home should hold a qualification such as NVQ in Health and Social Care, and receive regular training and instruction in a variety of health and safety disciplines.

A care home with nursing provides all personal care, with the addition of qualified nurses to carry out specific treatments and procedures. People suffering from a long-term condition or illness may require a nursing home to ensure they receive appropriate care. Care homes can be owned and run by local authorities, private operators or the voluntary sector.

All care homes should offer attention to the residents throughout the day and night. Medical assistance is provided through your GP or 999 for emergency situations. All homes must be registered with the appropriate local authority and with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

What to look for?

Our leaflet, which you can download below, has advice on what to consider when choosing a home - such as location, local amenities, convenience for visitors, the size of the home etc, plus a list of questions to help you decide.

Care in your own home 

Providers of care in the home, often called domiciliary care, are also registered with the local authority and with CQC.

In Slough we have a website called the CM200 Quality Web portal which rates providers on things that people have told us are important such as care worker punctuality and continuity, length of stay, and missed calls. This portal is also available to service users.  For more information please contact us.

Choosing care in your own home

Before you begin to look for a provider spend a bit of time considering what you want. You need to be sure that you will get a high quality service with trained staff who can definitely provide the exact care that you need. Be very specific about your requirements and make some notes so that you are clear about what you are asking for.

The kind of support you need will of course vary from person to person and you will find many provider agencies have their own particular strengths and weaknesses. Try to think ahead and consider how your care needs may develop over time and whether the provider in question will be able to cope with your needs long term.

Our leaflet What good looks like has more information and questions to consider when choosing a care provider.

What might my care provider need to know about me?

The What good looks like leaflet has a useful list, based on the Alzheimer’s Society leaflet ‘This is Me’, which includes things like: the name you wish to be known by, your hobbies and interests, hearing and eyesight, mobility, allergies, medication, faith needs and so on.

Monitoring quality

The council routinely monitors care homes and home care services every year but if we have concerns or if it is a new service or home we would visit more frequently. The council maintains a quality improvement list which logs providers about which there are quality concerns. The council works with the provider on improvement plans. If you are interested in using a particular service you can ask the council about it to make sure it is of good quality.

Information, advice and advocacy

If you require financial advice to help you plan your care and support needs, please contact My Council (01735 475111) and we will be able to advise you on how to access appropriate independent financial advice. 

If you require advocacy support, please contact please contact My Council (01735 475111) and we will be able to advise you on the appropriate advocacy support available.

If you would like specific information on advice and advocacy the council commissions Age Concern’s Gateway to provide information and advice about care and support for all care groups in Slough. You can contact Gateway if you would like additional support on 0844 815 9385 or email

Safeguarding vulnerable adults

Disability, illness or frailty means many adults have to rely on others to help them in their day-to-day living. Sadly, this can make them vulnerable and at risk of abuse, very often from people they know. If you see or know something of concern please do not ignore it. Those being abused often don’t seek help. Vulnerable adults have a right to live their life in an environment which is free from prejudice and safe from abuse. An approach of zero tolerance is taken by the council to make sure vulnerable adults are protected.

If you have any concerns about how you or someone else is being treated contact Slough Adult Social Care Services for advice and support:

If you want to discuss your concerns out of normal hours you could call our out of hours team on 01344 786543 or call the police on 999 if it’s an emergency.