Please see our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Report suspected adult abuse

Safeguarding adults during the Coronavirus outbreak

Adult Social Care will continue to undertake Safeguarding Enquiries, seeking the contribution of partners where needed. We encourage everybody, whether in a formal role or as part of the voluntary community response to support vulnerable adults to report any concerns about abuse to Adult Social Care.

Safeguarding Reports can be made via the following routes

Email :  or  (for secure emails from partners)
Telephone: 01753 475111 where a team member will be able to record the information and advise a Social Worker.

In an emergency situation please seek medical or Police help via 999.

Suspected abuse

Whoever you are, if you see, hear or know something that concerns you and suspect a person is being harmed or abused, you must report what you know. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

Every adult has the right to be treated with dignity, have their choices respected and live a life free from fear. Disability, illness or frailty means that many adults over the age of 18 have to rely on other people to help them in their day-to-day living. Sadly, it is because they have to depend on others that they become vulnerable and at risk of abuse, very often from people they know such as a relative, friend, neighbour or paid carer.

How can you help?

Abuse can take place in a person's own home, in a residential or nursing home or a day centre or hospital. Unfortunately those being abused are often the least likely to tell someone or seek help. If you see or know something of concern please do not ignore it.

We treat cases of suspected abuse very seriously and lots of organisations in Slough work closely together, using the same policies and procedures. Get in touch with us and we will do something about it. Safeguarding Adults is everybody’s business; if you see something, say something.

Contact Slough Adult Social Care Services:


  • In an emergency out of normal office hours call the Emergency Duty Team on 01344 786543 or
  • call the police on 999

Police (non emergency)

  • In a non emergency, or to speak to someone about a non urgent matter, call Thames Valley Police on 101 or 08458 505 505.

Suspected or alleged abuse or neglect in services provided by NHS Services or Private Care Organisations

Health services such as Primary, Acute and Mental Health Trusts, care homes and domiciliary care agencies and organisations who provide supported living must have their own procedures for dealing with allegations of abuse. These should be compatible with the inter agency policy and procedures. Each agency should have a designated post holder who will determine whether a safeguarding referral to Adult Social Care is necessary.

For further details please go to the Berkshire Safeguarding Policies and Procedures.

Safeguarding Adults BSL Video

View the Safeguarding Adults video (British Sign Language version) which explains the different types of abuse and what happens after someone tells us that abuse has or may have happened.

What we will do

We will:

  • listen and take seriously what the person has to say
  • gather information
  • make sure the person is safe
  • get immediate medical treatment if there is an injury
  • involve the police if a crime is suspected
  • involve other professionals to investigate and protect the person from further abuse.

We will provide information and offer practical advice to the person suffering abuse, so that they can make an informed choice about any help they might need, or any action they may wish to take. If they are unable to make an informed choice, care will be taken to support and protect them.