Community Development is about supporting groups and networks of people taking joint action on matters that concern them most and help people to influence the decisions that affect their lives. (Community Development Foundation).
Funding opportunity 2018
The Community Development Team is inviting applications of up to the value of £4,000 from community/voluntary groups and charities in Slough.
Please read the guidance notes and application form for the Community Development Fund before submitting your application.
The fund has now closed for this round and will re-open in summer 2018 for the next round of available funding.
Community Development team members
- Community Development Manager - Zulf Awan
- Customer Service Assistant- Riffat Saeed
- Community Development Officer- Halima Hussain
- Community Development Officer- Harinder Dhindsa
- Community Development Officer - Emily Miller
Community Development toolkit
The Community Development toolkit will help with the below.
- Providing guidance on the issues you need to consider when planning and designing your community engagement process.
- Quality and effective participation in community engagement processes.
- Tools to help you plan and implement community engagement processes.
- Methods and techniques appropriate to your community engagement process.
If you are considering any form of community development please contact Ketan Gandhi Ketan.Gandhi@slough.gov.uk
How does Community Development work?
Community Development Officers lead, facilitate and support a variety of work, from small scale social groups through to large, multi-agency strategic projects. Overall all projects:
- create opportunities for people to develop their skills and realise their potential
- reach out to those excluded or disadvantaged
- create community organisations who can represent the community and develop solutions to local issues
- promote dialogue between communities and agencies to improve the town and encourage more residents to do more for themselves.
Slough Borough Council’s Community Development Team will work with you to:
- encourage everyone to play an active role in their community
- secure external funding grants for localised community projects and initiatives, events and activities
- provide a point of contact for community and voluntary organisations and develop practical tools, training and support to build capacity in the community
- encourage increased and more intensive use of the council’s community centres
- develop local community ideas into practice
- advertise and promote all community activities in community centres and hubs across Slough.
Talk to us about what you can do in Slough’s community centres and how we can support the development of your ideas.
For more information about the cafés and how you can get involved contact email@example.com
Both Chalvey and Britwell Community Centres offer:
- library service with free internet access
- community activities and events
- English, Maths and IT classes for all abilities and much more.