Listed buildings consent

In addition to planning permission, you will need to apply for Listed Building Consent if your house is a listed building. An application for listed building consent is necessary if you propose to alter, extend or demolish the whole or part of a listed building in a manner that would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. This can include work to the interior as well as the exterior, work to objects or structures fixed to the building and work to detached objects or structures such as outbuildings, walls and gates within its boundary if they have formed part of the land prior to 1st July 1948. Some works, such as routine repair and maintenance, may not require consent. It is a criminal offence to carry out works to listed buildings without consent.

Planning policy to protect the historic environment is set out in The Core Strategy (2008) and Saved Local Plan (2004). The Core Strategy contains an overarching policy relating to the preservation and enhancement of natural and built environment (Core Policy 9), and Saved Local Plan Policy EN17 relates to Locally Listed Buildings.  See Local Development Documents for details.

Is my property listed?

A full list of all the listed buildings in Slough is available in Local Development Documents for Slough in Appendix 5. Two more monuments were added to this list in 2010. To find out more contact the Planning Section on 01753 477340 or email  

Locally listed buildings

Saved Local Plan Policy EN17 relates to Locally Listed Buildings, and a list of locally listed buildings is contained in Appendix 6. See the Local Development Documents for more information.

Apply for consent

Contact us

Contact Planning form

01753 477340

Planning Department
St Martins Place
51 Bath Road