Permitted development & lawful use

Some work to houses does not require planning permission (Permitted Development rights do not exist for flats and maisonettes). You can find guidance on the rules and responsibilities here: Planning Portal permitted development.

Please contact us if you are in any doubt through the form on the right.

Do I need permission?

If your proposed development does not fall under permitted development, you will need to find out more about what permissions, consents and approvals you need here. The permissions guide on the Planning Portal will help you explore how to progress common householder projects and whether you need permissions for them or not.

Temporary change to Permitted Development

From 30 May 2013 it will be possible to construct a single storey rear extension behind the original rear wall of your house, which exceeds the normal Permitted Development Rights for attached and detached houses. This will be possible due to the changes to the General Permitted Development Order, which has been approved by the Government on 9 May 2013.

For a limited period of three years, you will be able to construct a single storey rear extension exceeding 3m in depth, but no more than to 6m in depth for an attached house (terraced and semi-detached houses). For detached houses you can construct an extension exceeding 4m in depth, but no more than 8m in depth.

The changes to the legislation include a ‘prior approval’ process that MUST be completed before any construction work can start on site. Failure to comply with the prior approval process will mean that your extension will not benefit from the new legislation and that the council can take Enforcement Action to have it removed. The Changes to permitted development rights for household extensions page gives more information.

Permitted development rights withdrawn

You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction or by adding a ‘restrictive’ planning condition. This will mean you have to submit a planning application for work which would normally not need permission. .

Restrictive planning conditions

There may be a condition on the original permission for the construction of your house or any subsequent extensions, which remove your normal rights to extend your property without needing planning permission. You will have to check with the Development Control team for your area if this is the case for your house.

Slough Article 4 direction

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area would be threatened. In Slough there is an Article 4 direction which covers the whole borough and concerns the temporary use of moveable structures and caravans.

If your plans do not fall under permitted development you will need to find out more about what permissions, consents and approvals you need.

Lawful development certificate

If you would like to formally clarify whether your proposal is permitted development you can apply online via the Planning Portal or complete our application form for a Lawful Development Certificate for a proposed use or development.

Certificate of lawfulness – existing

An application for a Certificate of Existing Lawful Use of Land is only likely to be successful if it can be shown that the use applied for has been carried on continuously for a period in excess of 10 years. Or the building was erected in excess of four years.

Please note that a fee is payable for this application.

Certificate of lawfulness – proposed

An application for a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use can be made to obtain the council's formal decision on whether a proposed development or use can be carried out without the need for planning permission.

NB. A fee is payable for this application, fee schedule attached.

Contact us

Contact Planning form

01753 477340

Planning Department
Slough Borough Council
St Martins Place
51 Bath Road
Slough, SL1 3UF