How to request and pay for a copy certificate
A birth, death or marriage entry is held in Register Office in the district where the event took place. Visit the government’s website to find the right register office.
If the event you are looking for took place outside of Slough, you should contact the relevant registration district. They will be able to help you.
If you are requesting a copy of a marriage certificate where the marriage took place in a religious building recently, then we may not yet have a deposited register from the church or temple. In these cases, you should request your copy certificate from the church or temple directly. We can tell you if you need to do this when you apply for your copy certificate.
How to get a copy of a certificate
Your letter should contain the following information for each certificate being applied for:
- name of the person (and the name of their partner in the case of a marriage/civil partnership).
- date and type of the event (Birth/Death/Marriage/Civil Partnership).
- place of birth or death.
- for a marriage/civil partnership, the location where the ceremony took place. For example the church, the register office or an approved venue like a hotel.
You can apply in person at our office during our normal opening hours - see contact us for details.
You can contact us by telephone to order a copy certificate.
Fees and payment
- Copies of birth, death and marriage certificates, on the day of registration, cost £11 each.
- Copies of certificates from current registers after the day of registration cost £11.
- Copies of certificates from completed registers cost £11.
- Copies of civil partnership certificates cost £11 for all certificates ordered on the day the partnership is signed. Any certificate ordered after this will cost £11.
- Sending certificates by registered post cost £2.60. Death certificates are always sent by registered post. It is optional for other certificates.
All copy certificates must be paid for before we issue them.
Payment can be made by credit or debit card. This method should only be used for telephone or in person requests. Please do not send any financial details by post.
Please note, Slough Borough Council is not liable for any certificates that are delayed or lost in the post.