Cookie Consent by

Register a birth

Booking an appointment

Service alert banner

Coronavirus (Covid-19) and registration services

Please see coronavirus and births, marriages and deaths for the latest information.

Service alert end banner

Every live birth must be registered within 42 days of the child being born. The birth must be registered at the Register Office in the district where the birth takes place. For births in Slough, you must register your child at Slough Register Office. 

If you are unable to attend the Register Office in the district where the birth took place, you can make an appointment at your local Register Office and do a declaration of birth. The local Register Office will take all your details and post the declaration to the Registration District where the birth took place, so the Registration can be completed. Please note that a delay will be experienced in obtaining any birth certificates you may require as these can only be issued after the proper registration is completed.

Certificates and any extra copies are £11 each. Customers need to arrive a least 10 minutes before due to having the come in and out of the building safely.

If you don't have an email address please call the Registrar Service on 01753 787600 and leave a message with your contact number and the Registrar will call you back.


Who can register a birth

  • Either the mother or father, if they are legally married to each other.
  • The mother and father together if they are not legally married to each other.
  • You cannot ask a friend or relative to register the birth on your behalf.

If the mother and father of the child are not legally married to each other at the time of the birth, the father's details may be entered when the mother and father attend together to register the birth.

If the father is unable to attend, the mother is able to register the child without the father's details and then re-register the child together at a later date to add the father.

Alternatively, if the mother or father is unable to attend, he / she may make what is called a Statutory Declaration in front of a Justice of the Peace, Magistrate, Commissioner of Oaths, Practising Solicitor, Notary Public, Licensed Conveyancer, Authorised Advocate or Authorised Litigator. The mother / father will give this signed declaration to the Registrar when she / he registers the child. The form for this declaration is available from any Register Office.

Where either parent has a Court Order or a Parental Responsibility Agreement in respect of the child, the Court Order or Parental Responsibility Agreement must be handed to the Registrar, who will advise on each case as it arises.

If the birth is to be registered with two female parents, please telephone the Register Office for further advice.

Contact the Register Office

Contact the register office