Changes to your business property

Rateable values are set by the valuation officers of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). In certain circumstances the VOA can alter your rate. If you're not able to agree on a change you can appeal the decision.

The VOA are responsible for creating and maintaining the list, which is available to view on the Valuation Office Agency website. You can also find your rateable value on the front of your business rates demand notice.

Your rateable value for period commencing 1 April 2023 is based on the open market rental value of the property as at 1 April 2021. The valuation officer may alter your rateable value if there has been a change of circumstance, for example if you have extended your property, split your property into more than one unit or any other changes.

 If you believe the rateable value of your property to be incorrect, because you dispute the amount or because you have made changes to your property you will need to contact the Valuation Office Agency. The VOA will amend your rateable value if they agree it is wrong.

Please note that throughout this process, you have to continue paying your business rates liability as charged.

Information on appeals

If you have contacted the VOA but have not been able to agree a change, you can make an appeal, free of charge to the Valuation Tribunal.

Slough Borough Council can only backdate any business rates rebate to the date from which the change appears in the valuation list.

For more information please visit - business rates appeals.

Beware of bogus advisors

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) has issued a fact sheet to help ensure businesses are not caught out by 'professionals', who offer help to reduce business rates bills but end up charging more in fees than they've saved. Some less scrupulous rating agents even claim to be working on behalf of the VOA to confuse business owners and drum up trade under false pretences.

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Slough Borough Council provides guidance on employing a rating advisor.

Contact Business Rates

Contact Business Rates form