Between 4 December 2020 and 31 August 2021 we consulted with residents, commuters, businesses and stakeholders to understand their views about the experimental A4 Bus and Cycle Lanes between Cippenham Lane and Sussex Place, following some operational changes introduced from Friday 4 December 2020.
Following a Cabinet Meeting on 17 January 2022, the Council agreed to make the experimental A4 bus lane permanent and incorporate the operational changes made on 4 December 2020, with the addition of permitting zero emission vehicles displaying green number plates. Permanent Traffic Regulation Orders are operational from Friday 25 February 2022.
This is for the following reasons:
- The strategic objective of promoting sustainable modes, resulting in measures to support modal shift, including continuous improvements to public transport in Slough
- By reallocating road space to buses, pedal cycles, solo motorcycles, taxis, authorised private hire vehicles, zero emission vehicles* and hire e-scooters, journey times during peak times on the network will be improved for these modes
- By making permanent the bus and cycle lanes we will continue to improve the experience of pedestrians walking on adjacent footways, continue to encourage cyclists and hire e-scooter users to use the bus and cycle lanes rather than shared use footways, maintain improvements in the journey time and experience of bus passengers, and reduce the number of car journeys and discourage short car journeys
- This modal shift to more sustainable modes will reduce carbon emissions and improve public health
The A4 bus lanes introduced in the experimental scheme are now operating permanently as follows:
- peak time only, from Monday to Friday during 7am-10am and 3pm-7pm
- the following vehicles are now permitted to use the lanes during those times:
- pedal cycles
- solo motorcycles
- private hire vehicles (“minicabs”) operated under licences issued by Slough Borough Council
- zero emission vehicles displaying green number plates*
- electric scooters hired from Neuron Mobility under a government trial scheme
*Green number plate vehicles (those with zero emissions) have been included in our legal orders, and are now permitted – signs are being updated to show this.