Advice for non-UK based applicants

Prevention of illegal working

It is a criminal offence to employ someone, aged 16 or over, who has no right to work in the United Kingdom, or no right to do the work the organisation is offering.

The Council requires evidence to establish a person’s right to work in the United Kingdom. The documents that establish someone’s entitlement to work are spilt into two lists: List A and List B.

  • List A documents show that the holder is not subject to immigration control, or has no restrictions on their stay in the UK.
  • List B documents demonstrate that the person has been granted leave to enter or remain in the UK for a limited period of time and/or has restrictions on their ability to take employment in the UK.