Council tax appeals

Appeals against council tax decisions

You have the right to appeal if you don't think you are liable to pay Council Tax. This might be because:

  • you're not the resident or owner
  • you believe that the property should be exempt
  • you believe the council has made a mistake in calculating your bill

If you wish to appeal you need to write to us explaining why. We will look at the decision again. Please remember that you must continue to pay your Council Tax whilst an appeal is being considered.

If after you've made an appeal you still don't agree with the decision you can appeal online to the Valuation Tribunal, or by writing to them:

Valuation Tribunal for England
Second floor
120 Leman Street
E1 8EU

Your appeal should be made within two months of receiving our revised decision.

If you do not receive a reply from the Council, you may appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within four months of your written appeal to the Council.

If you think your tax band is wrong check out council tax band appeals.

For council tax band appeals