Becoming an early years and childcare provider

Finding suitable premises

Identifying and securing suitable and affordable premises in the area that you have chosen can be time consuming. It is essential that you are realistic in your expectations about the costs that may be involved. The local authority cannot help you find suitable premises but you can consult:

  • local estate agents
  • local papers
  • local schools
  • local community halls & centres.

Some community centres in Slough may be available for lease from Slough Borough Council. More information can be found at community halls for hire. Places of worship can also work well.

The size and type of building needed and the age range and numbers of children you propose to care for are linked. Requirements are in place for the amount of space that must be allowed per child, as follows:

  • for children under two years old: 3.5 m2 per child
  • for two years old children: 2.5 m2 per child
  • for children aged three to five years: 2.3 m2 per child.

Wherever possible, there should be access to an outdoor play area, and daylight should be the main source of light. You must also have suitable toilets and kitchen facilities.

Planning consent may be required before a building can be used as an early years and childcare setting.

Converting a residential property into an early years or childcare setting may well be subject to restrictions from the planning department if there is a loss of residential accommodation.