Chaperone licence

A child taking part in a performance, which can include TV or filming, theatre, sporting activities or modelling, must be chaperoned, either by their parent or a registered chaperone. Registered chaperones are licensed by the local authority in which they live and must be at least 21 years old.

To apply for a chaperone licence, you will need to:

  • complete the Chaperone licence application form and attach a clear digital photograph of yourself with a plain background as well proof of address and identity
  • send in a cheque to cover the enhanced DBS check and give the application reference number and your details.  The cost is £55 for all professional chaperones and £15 for all volunteers. (check if you meet the DBS definition of a volunteer)
  • complete an online DBS application form sent to you by our HR department. You will be sent a link to the website and details of how to access the DBS form once we receive your application and a cheque
  • complete the NSPCC online training course: Protecting Children in Entertainment training for Chaperones. This costs £25. Email the certificate to us when it has been completed. Our email is You need to complete this before your licence has been approved.

Once we have received a satisfactory Enhanced DBS disclosure (which can take from two to six weeks) and two satisfactory references, we will contact you to collect your licence. Please note: the chaperone badge will not be posted to you.

Your licence will be valid for 3 years. To renew your licence please request the application pack at least six weeks prior to the date your licence expires.

Full information is available from the National Network for Child Employment and Entertainment .