Scrap metal licence

Scrap Metal Act 2013

If you wish to carry on the business of a scrap metal dealer, including motor salvage, you need to apply for a site or collector licence.

Email the licensing team at for an application form and guidance documents.

To apply you will need to complete and return the application form with the licence fee and the following supporting documents:

  • proof of your identity (passport, DVLA photocard driving licence, birth certificate and national insurance number)
  • basic DBS criminal record check - (please note that basic checks must be applied for through the Disclosure & Baring Service. Disclosure Scotland checks cannot be accepted).
  • a utility bill or bank statement (dated within last three months) at your address 
  • a passport size photo for each applicant/site manager
  • a list of all vehicle(s) being used to transport scrap metal
  • go to the GOV.UK site to register as a waste carrier, dealer or broker.

Payment must be made through the council's online payment system. You can pay for more than one licence in a single transaction.  

An inspection of the premises will be conducted by a licensing officer before a licence is granted.

Site licence

All scrap metal dealer sites have to be identified and a site manager has to be named for each site. A site licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.

Collectors licence

A scrap metal dealer collector licence issued by Slough Borough Council allows collection of scrap metal within the Slough borough only. To collect scrap metal in different local authority areas you must get a separate licence from each council.

A collector licence does not authorise the licensee to operate a site.

Information from the government on scrap metal licence can be found on their website.