James Elliman Junior, owner of the Elliman’s Embrocation brand and benefactor to the town, gave his greatest gift to the borough in 1907. He handed Salt Hill Park to the council to maintain in perpetuity as a recreation ground for the people of Slough.
The park, fully landscaped, planted, equipped with sporting facilities, park keeper’s lodge and the Barn Café was passed to the council during a civic ceremony on 21 March 1907. The park keeper’s lodge, the Barn Café and landscaping of the park were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield, an eminent architect of the time.
Facilities and attractions
Salt Hill Park, Slough’s premier park for more than 100 years, still keeps up with the times and offers a range of up to date facilities and educational activities in an Edwardian setting. Hosting features range from sports areas, recreation and play for local residents and visitors:
- Green Flag Award
- Car park and disabled parking
- Formal landscaped gardens
- Café and restaurant
- Tennis courts and coaching
- Natural areas and streamside walks
- Play areas
- Multi use games area
- Skateboard area
- Park Friends Group
The park is open 24 hours a day all year round. The café and restaurant and tennis courts are open daily throughout the year. A new family activity centre opened in March 2018.
How to get there
You can access the park from the A4 Bath Road opposite the old Town Hall.