Achieve and maintain a healthy weight to benefit your physical and mental health.
How much you eat and exercise can be influenced by:
- busy lifestyles
- food and drink adverts
- how much money you have
- the weather
- your friends.
You need to find a balance between:
- how much, how often and what you eat, and
- doing activities you enjoy.
Check your Body Mass Index (BMI) to know the healthy weight for your height. NHS gives details about what is a healthy weight.
- You can check your BMI using the NHS healthy weight calculator.
- Children’s height and weight are routinely measured at school in Reception and Year 6 as part of the National Child Measurement Programme.
- For adults aged 40-74, GPs can provide a free health check which includes measuring your BMI.
- Check your waist circumference to help check your weight.
- NHS also gives guides to improve your general health.