Consumer credit licence

You are likely to need a credit licence if you:

  • sell goods or provide service on credit
  • hire or lease out goods for more than three months
  • lend money
  • arrange credit for others
  • offer hire purchase terms
  • collect debts or purchase debts
  • help people with debt problems
  • advise people of, or help them find information on, their credit standing 
  • administer agreements (but do not collect debts).

You may need a licence even if you:

  • don't charge for your services
  • are non-profit making, or
  • don't do these activities all the time.

Contact the Financial conduct authority (FCA) to get a consumer credit licence.