Concessionary bus passes


To be eligible for a bus pass, you must be either:

  • in England, both men and women can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the State Pension age
    You can find out at what year you will be eligible for a bus pass on the Gov.UK website.
  • have one of the disabilities detailed below.

To be eligible, your disability must be permanent, have lasted at least 12 months, or be likely to last at least 12 months. The disability must have a substantial effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The eligibility criteria below are set by the government, under the Transport Act 2000:

If you are disabled, you will automatically qualify if you:

  • are in receipt of the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or,
  • are in receipt of war pensioner's mobility supplement or,
  • have the disability registration card (which you must present to us)
  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability or have suffered an injury which has substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • have been refused a driving licence because of physical incapacity (does not include refusal on grounds of drug or alcohol misuse)
  • suffer from a severe mental illness
  • have 8 points or more in the moving around component for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

We will need proof of identity and a current Department of Works and pensions (DWP) award letter.