Slough's history

When did Slough's history start?

In 1086 William the Conqueror's Domesday Book lists some of the landowners in 'Upton', but the first recorded mention of Slough was in 1196, when it was spelled 'Slo'. Most historians think that the name came from the slough or muddy land between Upton-cum-Chalvey and Eton.

The oldest buildings in Slough

St Laurence's Church in Upton is around 900 years old and parts of Upton Court (now home to the Slough Observer newspaper) were built in 1325. St Mary's Church in Langley was probably built in the late 11th or early 12th century, though it has been re-built and enlarged several times.