Concessionary bus passes

From 1 April 2015 pass holders will no longer be able to travel for free on buses in the Slough Borough Council area before 9.30am or after 11pm on weekdays. Holders of companion passes will no longer be able to take a companion with them for free when travelling on buses in the Slough Borough Council area. For more information please see:
Changes to the concessionary bus fares scheme frequently asked questions

Bus passes for the elderly and disabled

England's national concessionary travel passes

The concessionary bus pass entitles holders to travel free of charge on off-peak local bus services anywhere in England. Off-peak hours are 9.30am until 11pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and bank holidays.

If you wish to use your bus pass outside the off-peak hours for journeys starting in any Council area outside Slough, then you are advised to check whether it will be valid with the Council concerned.

Your pass will be valid until the expiry date showing on the front of your bus pass or until the announcement of any alterations to scheme conditions.


To be eligible for a bus pass, you must be either:

  • in receipt of the state pension or have reached the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day as you. (see age of eligibility below)
  • have one of the disabilities detailed below.

To be eligible, your disability must be permanent, have lasted at least 12 months, or be likely to last at least 12 months. The disability must have a substantial effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The
eligibility criteria below are set by the government, under the Transport Act 2000:

If you are disabled, you will automatically qualify if you are in receipt of: 

  • the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or,
  • war pensioner's mobility supplement or,
  • the disability registration card (which you must present to us)
  • blind or partially sighted
  • profoundly or severely deaf
  • without speech
  • have a disability or have suffered an injury which has substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • have been refused a driving licence because of physical incapacity (does not include refusal on grounds of drug or alcohol misuse).

We will need proof of identity and a current Department of Works and pensions (DWP) award letter.

Age of eligibility

From 6th April 2010, the age of eligibility for concessionary travel for women will be pension age and for men it will be the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. The age of eligibility will rise in stages, between 2010 and 2020 with the age of eligibility for the state pension scheduled to rise by two months every one month. This means the earliest date on which you can get your bus pass will depend on which month you were born in and will not fall on your birthday.  See State Pension Calculator for more details.

Please use the table below to see when you will become eligible for a pass.

Date of birth Date eligible for bus pass
Before 5 October 1951  Now
6 October 1951 to 5 November 1951 6 May 2013
6 November 1951 to 5 December 1951 6 July 2013
6 December 1951 to 5 January 1952 6 September 2013
6 January 1952 to 5 February 1952 6 November 2013
6 February 1952 to 5 March 1952 6 January 2014
6 March 1952 to 5 April 1952 6 March 2014
6 April 1952 to 5 May 1952 6 May 2014
6 May 1952 to 5 June 1952 6 July 2014
6 June 1952 to 5 July 1952 6 September 2014
6 July 1952 to 5 August 1952
6 November 2014
6 August 1952 to 5 September 1952
6 January 2015
6 September 1952 to 5 October 1952
6 March 2015
6 October 1952 to 5 November 1952
6 May 2015
6 November 1952 to 5 December 1952
6 July 2015
One month later
Two months later

How do I get my bus pass?

Call us on 01753 475111 or visit My Council at Landmark Place, High Street, Slough for an application form.

You will then need to come to My Council to process your application. Bus pass applications are taken between 10am and 12pm Monday to Friday. You do not need to bring a photo as we will take a photograph of you.

When applying for the first time or renewal, you must bring the following items with you:

  • the application form, completed and signed
  • your passport or birth certificate (medical card or driving licence)
  • proof of address within the borough of Slough e.g. council tax bill, or utilities bill (gas or electricity) dated within the six months.

Remember – if you are of a pensionable age, you must bring proof of age as well as proof of address. We will need proof of identity and a current Department of Works and pensions (DWP) award letter.

How long will I have to wait to get my bus pass?

Once we have processed your application your bus pass will be sent to your home within 7 working days.

If it's been stolen you must report it to the police. They will give you a reference number which you need to give us. If your pass has been lost we will only need you to report this to us and provide proof of your identity and address when you visit to get your new bus pass ordered. Please come between 10am and 12noon, Monday to Friday.

What should I do if I move away from Slough?

Please return your pass to the address below. You will need to apply for a new pass from your new local authority.

Bus Pass Team
My Council
Landmark Place