Criteria for other applicants (discretionary scheme)
Some of the funding will be set aside for applicants who come directly to the council for assistance.
The grants will be issued on a first come, first served basis. We will consider an award where the applicant satisfies each of the following criteria. The applicant must:
- be aged 16 or over
- be able to show they meet one of the following:
- have a settled residence in Slough, or
- have been placed outside of the borough by the council
- in the case of someone leaving prison (must have been in prison for at least 6 months) or
- in care (must have been in the care of Slough Borough Council only)
- about to move into Slough; those that have been placed in Slough by another borough must apply to their originating borough.
- not have savings that can be relied upon to meet the need to which they are presenting
- have a reduction in income, for example the transition period of earning and claiming welfare benefits
- have not received, or be able/eligible to receive help from other public funds for the same category
- be without sufficient resources which would in turn cause serious risk to their own, or their family’s health or safety or wellbeing.
We will award:
- food vouchers
- vouchers for essential goods (where there are mitigating circumstances) and
- assistance with fuel payments.
In deciding whether to make a Housing Support Fund award we will have regard to the applicant’s circumstances including:
- any help which is likely to be available from other funds, such as Short Term Advances
- Budgeting Loans, Budgeting Advances and Advance Payments issued by the Department for Work and Pensions
- the income and expenditure of the applicant, any partner, their dependants and other occupiers of their household
- the level of indebtedness of the applicant and their family
- any medical issues, or other exceptional needs, of the applicant, partner or dependants, or other members of their household
- being mindful of the amount available in the Housing Support Fund budget
- any other special circumstance of which we are aware.
We will consider the risk and impact on the health and wellbeing of the applicant and any dependants of not meeting their need.
We are currently awaiting further guidance regarding the scheme.
You may be entitled to other benefits and support. More information can be found on GOV.UK Benefits section