What to expect during your telephone appointment
The registrar will ask you the:
- date and place of death
- full name and surname of the deceased person
- date and place of birth of the deceased
- deceased’s usual address
- deceased’s last occupation
- details of any public sector pension. For example: the civil service, teacher, or armed forces.
If the deceased was married, widowed or registered in a civil partnership, the registrar will ask you the:
- deceased’s maiden name, if they changed their name after marriage or civil partnership
- full name and occupation of their spouse or civil partner
- date of birth of a surviving spouse or civil partner.
When you register the death, you can buy a copy of the death certificate. Each copy costs £11.
You can pay for certificates by credit or debit card.
We will send death certificates by recorded delivery.