Business improvement districts (BIDs)
Business improvement districts (BIDs) allow businesses in a specific area to develop unique area of improvement plans. These plans are funded and put into action by raising a small levy from the businesses within the improvement district and based on the rateable value of the property. Slough has one BID which is in the Town Centre. More details on BID can found on the Slough BID website.
The benefits of having a BID in your area include:
- physical improvements, such as lighting, graffiti removal, greening and cleaning projects
- extra security measures for streets and businesses, such as warden schemes
- to improve open spaces for employees and visitors
- marketing promotions through increased local networking and business to business opportunities
- public events and expansion of tourism
- to improve staff retention and recruitment
- to increase access through improved transport and parking arrangements.
These services and improvements are offered in addition to services the local authority provides. The focus of each BID is driven by the businesses within their area.