Strengthening our families and giving them the support they need
Family life can be a challenge for parents and when faced with multiple problems it can be hard to know where to turn.
Strengthening Families is an early intervention programme carried out by Family Support Workers in the Early Help Hub which is part of the Early Years & Prevention directorate in Slough Borough Council. Strengthening Families is also actively supported by a range of partners.
The programme’s roots and framework of working are based on central government's ‘Troubled Families’ programme. This programme is known in Slough as Strengthening Families.
Strengthening Families works with families with children in the household and applies a ‘whole family approach’ taking into consideration the needs of the whole family. Support workers then work with the family in order to resolve all issues by delivering effective outcomes.
Our Family Support Workers in the Early Help Hub can offer support, advice and the conduct direct work needed in relation to issues concerning:
- Staying safe in the community: parents or children involved in crime or anti-social behaviour
- Getting a good education and skills for life: children who have not been attending school regularly
- Improving children’s life chances: children who need additional support, from the earliest years to adulthood
- Improving living standards: families experiencing or at risk of worklessness, homelessness or financial difficulties
- Staying safe in relationships: families affected by domestic abuse
- Living well, improving physical and mental health and wellbeing: parents and children with a range of health needs.
Family Support Workers will also work with other specialist services in Slough (if required) that can help meet the needs of the family.