Single person discount

A full council tax bill assumes at least two adults live in a house. If only one adult lives in a house (as their main home), they can claim a quarter off their council tax bill (25%).

When working out how many adults live in a home, the following people do not count as adults:

  • Full time students
  • Student nurses
  • Apprentices and youth training trainees
  • Hospital in-patients
  • People who are being looked after in care homes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or have just left, school and intend to enrol in further education
  • People for whom child benefit is payable
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not their husband, wife, partner, or a child under 18
  • Members and non-British dependants of visiting forces and certain international HQs
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
  • Special arrangements may also apply to certain non-British spouses of students

Some adults living in the dwelling are disregarded for council tax purposes, such as:

  • the severely mentally impaired
  • those whose parents or carers receive child benefit because of them
  • students
  • people living in nursing homes or hospitals etc.

Apply for the discount

If you are unable to access the form please contact the Council Tax team.

For the following discounts where some adults are disregarded please contact the Council Tax team:

  • one countable resident all others being disregarded - 25% discount
  • more than one adult resident where all are disregarded - 50% discount
  • one adult resident who is disregarded - 50% discount.

Tell us if your circumstances change

If you receive a single person discount, you must tell us within 21 days of your circumstances changing, or you may be fined. To find out more about please see our Change of circumstances form.