Severe weather


Flooding can occur anywhere, even if you live inland or away from watercourses, because the water can be too much for the drainage system – whether that's open streams, rivers or pipes. When the ground is saturated it will be difficult for even small amounts of extra rainfall to drain away from gardens and enclosed spaces.

It is the responsibility of the person who owns a property to take appropriate action to protect it from flooding. You can buy sandbags from your local DIY shop.

GOV.UK flood information

Floodline telephone service - 0845 988 1188 (Minicom 0845 602 6340).
General enquiry line - 0845 933 3111
Emergency hotline - 0800 807 060