Slough is an ideal area in which to cycle as it is compact and flat. Virtually the whole of the borough is within a 20 minute ride of the town centre. Walking and cycling are an ideal alternative to the car for many journeys, including shopping, work and school trips, and visiting friends and relatives.
Benefits of cycling and walking
- Walking and cycling, in particular, can be quicker than driving at times of heavy traffic.
- Pedestrians can use one-way streets, pedestrianised areas and other short-cuts not available to vehicles.
- Using ‘signalised’ crossings stops traffic to help you cross safely.
- Cycling and walking incorporates physical activity into your day at the same time as getting where you want to go.
Health and Environment
- Walking and cycling are the healthiest ways to get around Slough - for you and for everybody else, with reductions in pollution and greenhouse gases.
- Exercise lowers blood pressure, raises metabolism, burns fat and increases muscle mass.
- Exercise reduces risk of coronary heart disease by up to 50%.
- Exercise increases energy levels, strength and stamina whilst reducing stress and anxiety. It also improves sleep quality.
- Walking is free! However, a good quality pair of shoes can make walking more comfortable.
- The costs of buying waterproof clothing will be recouped over time, as they help you to save money by walking or cycling in all weathers.
- Keeping a bicycle is much cheaper than running a car, even taking into account purchase costs, maintenance and any insurance you may take out for it.
- Car owners can save on fuel, maintenance and parking costs by swapping short trips to walking or cycling.
Where to get new and second hand bikes in Slough
Don’t have a bike? Bike too small? There are places in Slough where you can buy new and used bicycles, often for very reasonable prices.
Second hand bikes
The Slough Sue Ryder shop stocks a range of second hand bikes available at a very reasonable cost. The bikes are donated to the charity. Sue Ryder works with volunteers to service and refurbish the bikes, so they all come with a certificate for safety. The range of bikes includes scooters and children’s bikes as well as full sized adult mountain and road bikes. Visit Sue Ryder online.
199-203 Farnham Road, Slough SL1 4XS
Tel: 01753 571394
The Freecycle Network™ is a grassroots and entirely non-profit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It’s all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Everything is free (including membership) as long as you can collect. There is a Slough group - so keep an eye out for bikes and bike child seats. Visit the Freecycle website.
The UK’s largest classified ads site. A great place to search for second hand bikes, bike child seats etc. Visit the Gumtree website.
If you are buying or selling second hand, Preloved offers a great alternative to the hassle and expense of auction sites, and a fun and friendly alternative to other more anonymous classifieds. With emphasis on local selling, collection is required instead of delivery. Keep an eye out for tag-along bikes and trailers too! Visit the Preloved website.
Where to buy a new bike
Stows Cycles concentrates on providing quality advice, so you get the right bike for your objectives, and a full range of services.
- Bike set-up for all new bikes.
- Complementary static bike fit for road bikes and suspension set-up for mountain bikes.
- First service free after 6-8 weeks of riding.
- Four weeks free insurance.
- Interest-free finance available on bikes over £540.
The store has a fully equipped workshop and highly trained technicians, who will help you keep your bike on the road and in tip-top condition.
72 High Street, Slough SL1 1EL
Tel: 01753 520528
Halfords sell bikes of all sizes, accessories and have stores all over the country. They also offer:
- bronze, silver and gold bike service
- bike care plan from £10 for kid’s bikes and £20 for adult bikes - with a free silver bike service worth £50
- six week first bike service - free on all new bikes they build for you.
Remember to buy a helmet and accessories such as front and rear lights and a good quality lock (preferably a D lock).
Please note that this information is for reference only. Slough Borough Council and Sustrans take no liability and have no connection with these businesses. Transactions made with these businesses are made at the individual’s risk. Statutory rights are not affected.