Asbestos in the home

If you live in a building built before the year 2000, it is possible that some parts of the building will contain asbestos.

  • If you are a council tenant you should contact your Housing Manager if you have concerns about asbestos in your home.
  • If you are a homeowner, leaseholder or private sector tenant, the HSE website provides the information that you most probably need. However, you can contact the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team on 01753 475111, should you be unsure and need advice about asbestos and what to do about it.

The general rule is to always leave asbestos alone, it is usually safe until it gets damaged or disturbed.