What goes in your black bin
Your black bin is for your everyday household waste; any items which cannot be recycled, home composted or put in your green bin.
Any excess waste placed by the side or on top of your wheeled bin WILL NOT be collected.
Yes, put it in
- Food waste (some food waste can be composted).
- Crisp packets, plastic film and polystyrene.
- Disposable nappies.
- Pet waste.
No, leave it out
- Anything that can be recycled (put recycling in your red bin or green bin).
- Anything that could post a threat to health and safety or cause damage.
- Asbestos-based materials*.
- Car parts or car batteries*.
- Clinical waste, medicines or hypodermic needles.
- Electrical or electronic items (WEEE)*.
- Gas cylinders or anything explosive.
- Hazardous waste (cleaning fluids, oil, paint or chemicals)*.
- Heavy or large items.
- Hot ashes.
- Household batteries*.
- Stones, rubble, soil or building materials*.
* you can take these items to the Household Waste Recycling Centre.