If you are looking for information on living with health conditions or want to know how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, we can help.
Reading Well Books on Prescription
Every year, one in four people will experience a mental health problem.
Reading Well Books on Prescription is a national scheme where health professionals recommend books for common mental health problems. The first list included 30 recommend self-help books covering issues such as anxiety, depression, phobias, panic attacks, stress, bulimia and sleep problems and is known as Reading Well Books on Prescription booklist.
There are now two additional lists
- Reading Well Shelf Help book list - for young people covering advice and information about issues like anxiety, stress and OCD, and difficult experiences like bullying and exams.
- Reading Well Dementia booklist - for people with dementia and their carers and families
- Reading Well Long Term conditions booklist - for people with specific conditions including diabetes, stroke and asthma, as well as common symptoms including pain and fatigue
Most titles are available from Slough Libraries or partner libraries through SELMs.
The scheme is supported locally, alongside other therapies, by Talking Therapies Berkshire.
Books on health and healthy living
All libraries have books and information on health conditions, eating well, exercise and fitness, and practical guides to subjects such as giving up smoking. (Search for health and wellbeing on our catalogue)
Other useful sites
- Slough Public Health health, well-being and fitness website with advice, resources, stories and links to educate, inspire and assist in reaching your goals, whatever they may be.
- NHS website has sections on conditions and treatments, medicines and NHS treatments
- Patient - information on a wide range of medical and health topics, also has a forum where people can discuss health topics