Property licensing

HMO licensed properties standards

All licensed HMOs will need to meet the standards set out in the document below. Licence holders will need to provide evidence that their property meets these standards and ensure the property is maintained in good and safe repair throughout the period of the licence.

Works in progress

We can still issue the licence while work is being completed if:

  • it will meet amenity standards and licensing requirements
  • it is completed as soon as possible.

The completion of the work in progress may be added as part of your licence conditions. 

If a licence holder fails to comply with any condition of a licence they could be subject to a fine of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine upon conviction.

  • Gas Safety Certificates: If the property has a gas supply then the entire gas installation (appliances, pipework and flues) must be maintained in safe working order. The gas installation must be examined and tested annually by a Gas Safe Registered contractor and a landlord’s gas safety certificate obtained which must be provided to all new tenants before they move in and to existing tenants within 28 days of the date it was issued.
  • Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR): Landlords of privately rented accommodation must also ensure national standards for electrical safety are met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the ‘Wiring Regulations’, which are published as British Standard 7671. Landlords must ensure the electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at an interval of at least every 5 years.

To find or check if a contractor carrying out the works on the electrics and gas within your property is a registered, competent person you can check the following sites:

Landlords must provide a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate / EICR within 7 days upon request from the Local Authority. Failure to do so is an offence.

Energy Efficiency

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are an essential part of buying, selling and renting homes. You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.

An EPC contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy cost and any recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money.

As of 1st April 2020, an EPC rating of an E or above is required to let your property.