Street trading consents

Any person wishing to sell goods to the public within Slough must apply for ‘Street Trading Consent’ before any selling takes place.

If you intend to sell hot food or drink to members of the public between the hours of 11pm and 5am, you will also need to apply for a premises licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003.

If you wish to apply or require any further information please contact the licensing team at

Trading site

Applicants should identify any potential street trading sites within Slough. The licensing team will advise on their suitability having regard to any parking or loading restrictions, the proximity of residential properties and the overall safety of the location for customers, particularly if the location is on or near a busy road.

Slough Trading Estate is owned and operated by SEGRO who currently do not allow street trading to take place there.

Slough High Street All pitches have been allocated. No new applications will be considered.

Farnham Road there are no suitable sites on this road and new applications will not be considered.

Exempted street trading activities

The following street trading activities are legally exempt from the requirement to obtain a prior consent from the council:

  • trading by a person acting as a pedlar under the authority of a pedlar’s certificate granted under the Pedlars Act 1871
  • anything done in a market or fair, the right to hold which was acquired by virtue of a grant (including presumed grant) or acquired or established by an enactment or order
  • trading in a trunk road picnic area provided by the Secretary of State under section 112 of the Highways Act 1980
  • trading as a news vendor
  • trading which:
    • is carried on at premises used as a petrol filling station; or
    • is carried on at premises used as a shop or in a street adjoining premises so used and as part of the business or shop
  • selling things, or offering or exposing them for sale, as a roundsman
  • the use for trading under Part VIIA of the Highways Act 1980 of an object or structure placed on, or in or over a highway
  • the operation of facilities for recreation or refreshment under Part VIIA of the Highways Act 1980
  • the doing of anything authorised by regulations made under section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916.