Deferred payment agreements

Deferred Payment Agreements (DPA) are available to help people who would otherwise have to sell their home to pay for their care in a care home.

If you are eligible (check the section on who is eligible for a DPA), the council will arrange to pay your care home fees on your behalf. The payments we make will be secured by a legal charge against your home, in the same way as a mortgage or secured loan.

You will still have to contribute towards the cost of your care based on a financial assessment of your income, savings and other capital.

You will need to meet the costs incurred by the council in setting the arrangement up, and interest will be charged on the amount owed.