Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Assessments, checks and penalties

Arrange an EPC assessment

EPCs can only be provided by an accredited energy assessor.

Advice on how to get a new energy certificate is available from GOV.UK. There is a cost for this service which can be confirmed at the time of making an appointment.

The EPC assessor will provide a recommendation report which will include how to improve energy efficiency. If you decide to make these improvements, it is advisable to get an updated EPC.

Checks by trading standards

A trading standards officer will check that any EPC is registered on the EPC register, the officer will also check the EPC has been issued by an accredited energy assessor.


If a request for an EPC is made and cannot be provided within 7 days of request, a fixed penalty notice of £200 could be issued. This also applies if EPCs have not been registered or been issued by an accredited energy assessor. Please note, even after an FPN has been issued, further penalties could be incurred if the requested information is not provided.

More information

Your assessor may be able to answer any questions you have. Or you can contact the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) for advice and support.

If you want advice on EPC enforcement please contact the Citizens Advice Consumer helpline on 0808 233 1133.