Cookie Consent by FreePrivacyPolicy.com

Slough's villages

Britwell

Modern-day Britwell was built on farmland after the Second World War, to re-house Londoners who had lost their homes in the bombing raids. The first of 11,000 tenants moved in in 1956 and were delighted with the "roomy and modern" houses, complete with large swivel windows - "a boon to housewives". However, there were no pubs or clubs or community facilities on the estate, and no bus service into Slough or Burnham. In 1959 the Community Association was founded, and their campaigning was successful in getting a bus service and, in 1966, a Community Centre.