Council tax and landlords

Houses in Multiple Occupation

Tenants have to pay council tax for the property they rent if it’s their only or main home (their 'sole or main residence').
If the property is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), the owner will usually be responsible for paying.

Properties that are classed as a ‘House in Multiple Occupation’ (HMO)

As a general guide, we would usually class the following residences as a HMO:

  • an ordinary house turned into bedsits, each having a kitchen area, but there is only one bathroom that everyone shares
  • a rented property where the tenants rent a room each
  • a rented property where the tenants have separate tenancy agreements.

These are examples only and there may be other types of property which meet the definition of a HMO.

You must let us know if you believe your property could be classed as a House in Multiple Occupation.